Saturday, June 18, 2011

How Can He Fill My Cup?

 I love the optimist vs. pessimist lesson we can take from a cup filled halfway.  Is it half full? or is it half empty..?  I say it's half full!  There's still a bunch of water you can drink after all.

I had a cup of juice the other day.  I love juice.  Someone kindly offered me more juice but I denied them.  I thought I already had enough in my cup.  They were more than willing to give me more, but because I thought I had enough they were not able to give me more without forcing it down my throat.  In reality I looked down into my cup a few minutes later and saw the bottom of the cup... I was still thirsty.  Downer.


Often life is the same way.  Our Heavenly Father loves us and just wants to bless us with everything He has.  He knows our cups are practically empty and wants to fill us with "love, joy, peace...gentleness, goodness, faith," (Galatians 5:22), but we reject His offers through disobedience.  The Lord has said,
  •  20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
  • 21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. (D&C 130:20-21)
The Lord also told us why he leaves our cups half empty sometimes:
  •  27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)
So how do we get more juice?  First, recognize that we don't have it all (through humility), and then accept His offers to 'make weak things become strong' (through obedience).  I love juice.  But I love the Gospel even more.  Jesus Christ and his teachings will help everyone willing to come unto him.

No comments:

Post a Comment